Monday, July 14, 2008

Working moms look back with mixed emotions - CNN.com

Working moms look back with mixed emotions

Story Highlights
Decision for moms to work or stay home is fiercely debated, rarely easy
Psychiatrist: Children who are put in day care feel a real loss
Author: Keeping yourself from your own ambitions can be "soul destroying"
Next Article in Living »

By Maya Dollarhide Lucca



(LifeWire) -- When Christine Durst, 45, had her first child in 1987, she received a package from her boss while recuperating in the hospital. But instead of a baby gift, she found something else: year-end tax forms to complete.
"My son lay sleeping in his bed next to mine while I toiled away in the middle of the night," Durst recalls. "I was the business manager. If I didn't do the work, it wouldn't get done."
She worked at that job until 1993, two years after the birth of her second child, a girl. Today, her children grown, Durst works from home. But she regrets missing those early years with the kids. "I felt tremendous guilt about being away from home, and I felt terrible about the stress I brought home from the job."
While Durst, of Woodstock, Connecticut, looks back with regrets, Karol Rose, 64, of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, doesn't. Rose, an executive with FlexPaths, a women-owned consulting business specializing in workplace flexibility, raised two boys while working full time, taking off only a few months when they were born. "I think my sons liked that I had a job," Rose says. "You know, too much focus isn't great for children, either."



Working moms look back with mixed emotions - CNN.com

1 comment:

Denise :o) said...

Hi! I'm having problems with my email. I can only recieve and not reply. Wanted to let you know I've gone "private" and send you an invite. We are doing great. We need to set up a "play date" for the kids. I'm dying to meet them and to talk to you more about fost/adopt. I think we might be moving in that direction.